Thursday, September 18, 2008

Taking Courage

I'm currently going through the book of 2nd Chronicles during my devotion time each morning. I think sometimes we as believers can get caught up in the New Testament (not like its a bad thing) and forget how the LORD has paved the way and provided for His people before Christ's coming. So in light of that, I've been trying to journey through the OT as much as I can.
I came across an interesting verse the other day and haven't really stopped thinking about the concept. It is when the King of Judah, Asa, hears the words of a prophet telling the king that the LORD is with him. It says, "When Asa heard these words, the prophecy of Azariah the son of Oded, he took courage, and put away the abominable idols from all the land of Judah and Benjamin..." (2 Chronicles 15:8). Asa took courage. How interesting this statement is to me! Taking courage, as if it sits on a shelf or on the floor of my closet, easy to put on as a pair of socks.
What if it is really that easy? If we know that the LORD is all good, all loving, all-gracious and all-giving, why would taking courage be any harder than taking a breath? If we trust that the lot is cast into the lap, but the decision is wholly from the LORD, we have no reason to fear anything in our paths. We can take courage, for we know intimately the love and care of the LORD.

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage, be not frightened, neither be dismayed; for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."
Joshua 1:9

No comments: