Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Soundtrack of My Life

I was walking from work on campus today to the place I have lunch almost every day (Charlie Brown's Cafe, CBC for the locals), and there was what is called a Nooner. Every Tuesday in one of the main quads there is a band or a musician who sets up shop and plays his or her music for an hour. As I was half listening to the solo and unplugged girl up there, it got me thinking about something absolutely dire: If my life had a soundtrack, what would be on it? So I put together one as soon as I got home today. I made a rule for myself that it had to be on my iTunes (but there is one exception) and there could only be one song from a band or artist. Here is what came up in no specific order:


Pocket Full of Sunshine-Natasha Benningfield (the exception)

Stillness-Aaron Shust

Blue Suede Shoes-Elvis Presley

Little Bitty Pretty One-Hootie and the Blowfish

I Want to Hold Your Hand-The Beatles

Ring of Fire-Johnny Cash

Please, Before I Go-Derek Webb

My Own Two Hands-Jack Johnson and Ben Harper

Down in the River to Pray-Allison Krauss

Far Away-Ingrid Michaelson

Compliante de la Butte-Rufus Wainwright

Hey-Jordan Yee

Where the Green Grass Grows-Tim McGraw

Suddenly I See-KT Tunstall

Girl From the North Country-Bob Dylan

Blue Eyes-Elton John

Table for Two-Caedmon's Call

No One's Gonna Love You-Band of Horses

Better Days-Goo Goo Dolls

The Blood-Shane and Shane

Beautiful Scandalous Night-Sixpence None the Richer

Weatherman-Damien Rice

Dancin' in the Moonlight-Toploader

Sing Hallelujah-Joe and Eddie

The Last Time He Saw Dorrie-Copeland

For The Widows In Paradise, For The Fatherless In Ypsilanti-Sufjan Stevens

Gravity-Shawn McDonald

Swallowed in the Sea-Coldplay

Summertime-Mae

Elephant Love Medley-Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman

When in Rome-Nickel Creek

Resurrection-Paul Wright

Chasing Cars-Snow Patrol

Look After You-The Fray

Sinkin' Soon-Norah Jones

Collide-Jars of Clay

Hear You Me-Jimmy Eat World

Beautiful Day-U2

Slow Motion-David Gray

I Shall Not Walk Alone-Ben Harper

Into the Sun-Lifehouse

Prayers of the Saints-Dave Barnes

Martyrs and Thieves-Jennifer Knapp

Bohemian Rhapsody-Queen

Break Bread-Josh Garrels

My Love Hasn't Grown Cold-Bethany Dillon

Its All Coming Back to Me Now-Celine Dion

I Will Wait-The David Crowder Band


So as this is the official (but not necessarily permanent) soundtrack to my life, feel free to check any of these people out on iTunes. They are all fabulous. Go forward with music.

2 comments:

Carly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carly said...

um that j.knapp song might just be the song of my life. next time you are belting it out know that i am singing too :)

several other great ones there too!
love this post - nice work.

xoxoxo