Monday, February 7, 2011

I'm Doing Crazy Things

Friends, since being out of college, I've decided that I want to keep learning. More recently, I have decided that I want to be a part of big long-term projects that make me do crazy things. I just never want to become the middle aged woman who looks back at her 20's and decided that she needed to be more adventurous. I figure if I've got time to do crazy things now, then what the heck is stopping me?

I was inspired by a 365 creative journal. I impulse bought it at Border's while buying a planner. I'm fairly certain the right side of my brain was getting a little jealous of the left side.



Needless to say, my inspiration is still there, but have not gone so far as to actually touch anything in that little journal. It is inspiring indeed, but as of late my lethargy has overtaken my desire for creativity. Perhaps this weekend I will start. Updates to follow assuming I get started soon.

Another big project I am participating in is the Wine Country Century. Crazy, I know. And yes, I do have a bike. From the 80's. Its blue. His name is Jacques. He is French (really, not joking. Its a Motobecane. Love it). My lovely roommate Gina and I decided that we have wonderful bikes and want to ride more, and the way to do that is to become temporarily insane and sign up for a 62 mile cycling race this spring. May 7th we will be subjecting our bodies to what some could call physical torment for about 4 or 5 hours. Have we done this before? No. Do we really know what we signed up for? No. Do I even own a pair of real biking shorts? Not yet. But I will soon. And yes, Mom, I will be wearing a helmet. Its a part of the regulations.



I told the leader of my Young Adults group at church who is a cyclist himself. He isn't doing it this year, but he has done it in the past. He was very excited for me, and then called over his wife and told her too. Then he got this nostalgic look in his eye and went on about how cycling truly is a noble sport--man and machine working together. It was very cute. He advised me to get some shorts. Plan on it.

In preparation, I have made a list of things I need to do before starting my big projects:

-get enough sleep
-get creative
-buy cycling shorts
-buy cycling shoes for my newly purchased pedals
-consume more protein
-become a creative artsy-crafty beefcake

I'll let you know how things go. Photos and funny stories to come soon. Maybe I'll make something like this:

No comments: