Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Meditate Please.

Richard Wurmbrand writes:
"Learn to read the Bible slowly, breathing rhythmically, with pauses to put in the correct accents. In this way you can immerse yourself in the spirit in which the Bible was written, and thus be able to participate in the Oneness which is its essence" (100 Prison Meditations).
How foolish I've been! For years I've expected my daily fulfilment of the Word to come from the five minutes I read while eating my cereal in the morning. I've been reading the Bible all wrong.
The Word gives instruction on itself. One must sit, think, reflect, and meditate on the words of the LORD. Psalm 1 says, "Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners;, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night (vs 1,2).
Pretty sure the last time I meditated on the Word was...um...never.
Sure, I've read some of it over multiple times, studied it, pulled out my Bible dictionary and commentary in hopes of understanding it better. Instead I've cultivated a habit of laziness and spiritual poverty. I've cheated myself of the very thing that brings me closer to Him.
I used to wonder why, when reading of conversion stories in the New Testament, my soul has been so unmoved. Certainly I have experienced this joy and redemption for myself, but why has it not moved me to tell others? Often I've marveled at the story of the Samaritan woman at the well. She experiences Jesus once and tell s the whole town. John recounts this story in his gospel: "Many Samaritans from that city believed in him because of the woman's testimony...(4.39).
Have I not felt the same spirit pull my wicked soul from the depths of Sheol? Have I not too been redeemed? How much more her faith is than mine!
I have been unmoved because I have refused to meditate on the precepts of the LORD. I have expected my cup to be filled with living water, all the while forgetting to dip it into the well.

No comments: