Sunday, November 4, 2007

Ask Your Barista for Details

As I am sitting in Starbucks with a pumpkin spice latte attempting to edit an essay, I look up from my computer and see the following words: “Today’s Song Is: Ask Your Barista for Details.”
This seems peculiar to me. If they have the “Today’s Song” sign, why would they not change it to actually read what the song of the day was? Why should I bother myself with asking someone if I have the possibility of having no interaction with humans and just looking on a board?
Sometimes I feel like this is the way I treat God. “Alright God, what will the blessing of the day be?” Well, Tam, you gotta ask him to find out. Not that God necessarily blesses us every day with some big, profound, life-changing thing, but could it be something as simple as the voice of a mockingbird, a good laugh with a friend, an opportunity to serve? Is it not even a blessing to breathe or to see a sunset? To feel the wind in your face and touch the leaves fallen to the ground?
I encourage you, Dear Reader, to seek God in the little things. Feel free to ask your barista for the details. Its quite helpful.

This is my favorite Barista.

No comments: