Monday, January 3, 2011

Thoughts on Getting Inked

Last week I had the opportunity to spend three or so hours in a tattoo parlor. I watched my two friends get inked! It was quite the experience--I sat there and was intrigued the entire time. What an interesting experience! There were three artist doing their thing, and while I was there I watched 5 or so people get inked. It was a fascinating experience--what a culture I had never realized before! This was Danielle's first tattoo, while her husband, Brian, was getting his third. There were two sisters getting antique looking keys on their ankles, a woman getting a heart on her wrist, Danielle getting Hebrew on her shoulder, and Brian getting an outline of a cross on his back. There were about 10 people in there at the same time, and we were all just watching the process, making jokes, commenting on the art, etc. After all was said and done, part of me wanted to go back later and just watch the process all over again!

I like tattoos. On other people. I think they are really cool, and have a decent amount of respect for people who have them. I myself don't think that I could ever get one. I'm straight up too chicken.

Dani asked me to document the experience--here are some of the photos!
Dani was really nervous, but she didn't say so (at least to the tattoo artist). I could tell because she kept on twitching her feet!



The artist doing his thing. This is Tim. I originally tried to get the camera to focus on what was going on through the lens of his glasses, but I liked the way this one turned out more.



The outline--the two words say Emmanuel and hallelujah.



You could tell this guy enjoyed his job. He was always smiling. It might just be his favorite.



The finished product! Danielle wanted it to look like henna, so Tim just made up a custom color.



I'm fairly certain the crazy girl was high off of endorphins when we took this picture.



Yes, the proportion of the cross on Brian's back is correct. It turned out awesome! He just got the outline this day; he hadn't decided yet what he wanted in the middle. Even the outline turned out neat, but the finished product really is a piece of art.



Now go out and support your local tattoo parlor.

No comments: