Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Gospel That I Am Fearful Of

I had a quick conversation with a good friend of mine tonight. She was giving me a ride to my car, so the ride only lasted a grand total of about 4 minutes.

I was telling her about the six World Vision staff members who were killed in Pakistan today, lamenting not only the loss of life, but also how easily I forget that the Gospel asks us to do hard things.

Then she says, "Yeah, sometimes I'm fearful of what it's asking me to do. I am afraid of what its asking me to give up. Like giving my money just isn't enough; like God is asking for my time as well."

Sometimes I don't like the gospel, because it means me admitting, facing, and repenting of my sin. I fear the surgeon's scalpel that looms over me, knowing the tumor is fateful, and yet more fearful of what the pain will be or how life will be like living without it. I feel with my friend, I find it so easy to fear what God is asking me to give up, forgetting that he is Good, forgetting that it is him alone that is worthy to follow. We must be willing to face the knife in order to get well.

I've found that saying yes to Jesus means saying no to a lot of other things. I often default to the story of the rich young ruler in Mark 10. Upon being asked what it takes to inherit eternal life, Jesus lists off some of the 10 Commandments. Insuring Jesus that he has followed these commands since birth, the ruler thinks he is in. But to his despair, Jesus tells him, "You lack one thing; go, sell what you have, and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me" (Mark 10:21). Never explicitly does Jesus say what the idol is in Mark's account, but we can clearly see that Jesus, the man, and others around him understand the implication of the request. Lacking only one thing--a true love for God. Money has become this man's god, and Jesus wants his place back on the throne.

Asking how to inherit eternal life is a dangerous thing. We lose our lives in doing so. But eventually we gain a better one. Its a gamble I believe to be worth risking. But in doing so, Jesus will continue to look at us, love us, and call out our sin.

Will we walk away sorrowful, or will we weep for joy at the grace we've found?

No comments: