Monday, April 20, 2009

I Am...

The past four years I've really tried to find out who I am. Moving away from home and having the opportunity to re-invent myself Freshman year was quite refreshing. I'm not sure that a lot a lot changed, but these are some of the following things I think I am:
  • a student
  • an English major
  • a daughter
  • a sister
  • a friend
  • a good listener
  • a roommate to five wonderful women
  • someone who loves to sing
  • a writer
  • a baker
  • an aspiring seamstress
  • a dreamer
  • someone who enjoys being crafty
  • a bargain hunter
  • smiley
  • a big nerd who really enjoys editing people's papers
  • a feeler who is really bent out to be a thinker (thanks Myers-Briggs)
  • someone who doesn't really like being defined by tests but succumbs to it when it seems necessary
  • a former swimmer
  • a student assistant at the front desk of Administration and Finance
  • a closet fashonista
  • someone who loves knowledge but sometimes places too much value in it
  • a leader with InterVarsity Christan Fellowship
  • a lover of (not-so) guilty pleasures
  • a lime popsicle connoisseur

As I sit and think about all these things I cannot help but to wonder if this is how I should be looking at myself. Is this the real me? Am I seeing past the rose-colored glasses? What about the Tamsen who can be too much of an idealist and tires herself out far too often? What about the Tamsen who tries to think the best of people and wears her heart on her sleeve which can often lead to a bruise? What about the Tamsen who cannot stand when people bicker over silly things and makes snide remarks with her sharp tongue? What about the rationale-loving Tamsen who can be so heartless at times? Am I allowed to re-invent these parts?

Shouldn't all these things simply fade away in the glory of the One who made me?

2 Corinthians 5:17:

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come.

1 comment:

Carly said...

me gusta. great post. xoxoxox