Friday, August 8, 2008

Blah, Blah, Blah, LOVE.

While we were in McDermitt, Mallory told us a story she had heard about a young girl whose family was talking to their pastor after church one Sunday. Upon being asked if she had enjoyed the sermon, they little girl replied that she had. When asked why, she said, "Well, it was just like the one last week: blah, blah, blah, love."
The insight of this girl intrigued me. I once was listening to a sermon from a man named Gil Stigleitz. In this sermon he told the congregation that if they walk away from a sermon and fail to love better, then it was as if they had slept through church.
Something that I've been asking the Lord to show me for a long time is to do this: to follow His commandment to love Him and His people. But it wasn't until recently that I realized that if I keep praying this, I will continually be challenged by those whom he places in my life specifically to answer this prayer.
If I ask for lessons on love, then will not the Lord place those who he knows are hard to love in my life? He will continually be humbling me and showing me the ceaseless love that He has and encouraging me to do the same; free of judgement, resentment, and selfishness. I've found that it is impossible to love without humility and a deep understanding of grace.

1 comment:

Kate-y said...

I was reading the Sermon on the Mount this morning and for some reason lingered on the verse in Matthew 5:43-48 about loving your enemy. Hmmph.