Monday, February 4, 2008

Musical Monday! Featured this Week: T-Pain Low

So I was sitting in my room the other day and one of my roommate's music was playing. To my horror, I found myself singing the lyrics to T-Pain's new hit Low. Here are the lyrics. I will translate after each line as needed.

T-Pain Low

H h h h h let
me to talk to ya
let me to talk to ya
mh h h h h let
me to talk to ya

come on
shortie had them apple bottom jeans (jeans)
*apple bottom jeans as defined on urbandictionary.com: Fashionable denim for women with voluptuous, curvaceous posteriors.*
boots with the fur (with the fur)
the whole club was lookin at her
she hit the floor (she hit the floor)
*Dance like wild*
next thing you know
shorty got low, low, low, low, low, low, low, low
*dropping low to the ground, bumping and grinding*

them baggy sweat pants
and the reboks with the straps (with the straps)
she turn around and gave that big booty a smack(heyyy)
*Oh yes, these really are the words*
she hit the floor (she hit the floor)
next thing you know
shorty got low, low, low, low, low, low, low, low (come on)

So right after these words emitted from my mouth, I was shocked at what I had just particpated in. I am a young woman who professes to follow the teachings of Jesus. Pretty sure that He would not want me to be listening to lyrics like that, much less singing them.
Even just to think about what they are saying-A man is in a club, sees a little hottie with a nice butt, and watches her voyeristically. Walks up to her in his gangster outfit (sweat pants and the Reboks with the straps), and spanks the girl. Way to objectify women.
So I'm not much of a feminist, the extent of my femininst philosophy agrees with Mary Woolstencraft and her Rights and Vindications of Women. To sum it up, she basically says that women were simply brainless breeders who were taught to think only of who they were to marry and what to wear the next day. On special occasions they would think about tea. This was the 18th Century, after all.
So what have today's women been reduced to? Yet again, they are mindless. But instead of being something pretty to look at, they are now something to play with. I am not a toy! I am more than a set of hips. I have a mind, feelings, and emotions. I prefer to be treated accordingly.
Sorry for getting all preacher on ya'll, but I feel that this is something that I have slipped into. Jesus said to be in the world but not of it. By listening to this song and singing along to the words, I have participated in it. The world and I were one. I have subjected myself to what the world thinks of me, forgetting what my Creator thinks.
So I encourage you, Dear Reader, to take into consideration what I have said. Go forth and clean out your music files. The next one I promise not to preach. :D

1 comment:

Kate-y said...

way to embrace the themed days...keep at it!