Monday, February 18, 2008

I Serve an Artistic God

My great-grandmother would be ashamed of me.
Grandma Bessy was as old as Methuslea-or so I though at the age of four. Wrinkely, grey-haired, and tall, she was a whopping 90 some-odd years old, not to mention a great cook. Anything and everything would be fried in bacon grease or lard. Once a month my family would drive the one hour to Orville, California, to see her and her husband.
Grandma Bessy was a Baptist of the strictest kind: no drinking, no dancing, no singin' too loud. She was horrified when she found out that Nyquil was 70 proof.
So why would she be ashamed of me? Well, dear reader, I'll tell you.
I danced in church. Yep. In church.
Calvary Chapel Petaluma has this thing called First Fridays. It is a nightime worship night on the frist Friday of every month. Pretty sweet if I do say so myself. So I was there, getting my song on, and I found myself moving. Its not a full-out wild jungle dance, more like a slight hopping and swaying to the music. I've found that its hard for me not to move whenever I hear music. Especially when I'm singing with all my heart.
I've decided there is nothing wrong about dancing. There is no Old Testament law that I am aware of that makes it wrong. King David danced when the Ark of the Covenant was brought to Jerusalem (2 Samuel 6). Pslam 150 says, "Praise him with trumpet sound; praise him with lute and harp! Praise him with timbrel and dance; praise him with strings and pipe!" I've decided that God is artistic.
So if I can dance and show my love for the LORD, why would it be different if I were to write a song about Him or to paint something that brought me to a closer relationship with Him? Is not our God a God of creativity? Did He not create the world and all that is in it? He made the sun to shine during the day and the moon at night, complete with beautiful sunrises and sunsets each time. If I paint a sunset with the LORD in mind, is that not worship?
My youth pastor Matt once said something that made me laugh. Only now do I understand what he was trying to say. He said, "Eat your Cherrioes with God in mind" (it was later modified to brushing your teeth with God in mind). Either way, if we are to laugh or to enjoy a good steak with the LORD in our minds and in our hearts, we still can worship the LORD. Is not even writing a form of worship? Speaking to others about God? Caring for the widows and the orphans? There is more than one way to skin a cat. There also is more than one way to worship a creative God.

No comments: