Saturday, May 5, 2007

On Love

Written 10-06

Meditate on this timeless phrase: All's fair in love and war. All is fair? I'm not sure if either of these things are true. It is common knowledge that very few things in war is fair. It is base, it is horrendous, it is complete destruction. If all were fair in war, there would be no war to have. If anything, the converse of the original statement is true: Not all's fair in love and war. Not all is fair in love because we treat it like a war. We fight and fuss, we are jealous. we are scared to see what will happen if our true emotions are laid on the table, pure and bare. We know that the love of God had originally planned for us as humans was perfect and true, but only a shadow of the real thing exists today. Yet when I think upon the grace that He has lavished upon me, I still fear to taste what he has so graciously set before me. I have tasted fear, I have tasted rejection, I have tasted bitterness. If this is love, I want none of it.
But God promises us a love so unlike anything we have ever experienced, a love that is true, steadfast, unspoiled by sin. And it still remains a swirl of sensations. What am I supposed to feel, and what do I feel? Scriptures say that perfect love casts out all fear. This is a love that restores me when I lose myself. This is a love that makes me realize that I need nothing else. This is the love that we should have for each other, a love devoid of anything but good. A love without the fear of defeat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well put Love.

Kate-y said...

You really make God's love sound like something we run to when everyone else's love fails us. Just keep in mind 1 John 4:19--that we love because God first loved us. The only way we can even know love, even totally depraved and fallen love (which is really love at all?) is because of God. That is the gospel.