Thursday, May 10, 2007

The Hatred of Evil

Yesterday I was reading through Proverbs 8 and I came across verse 13: "The fear of the Lord is hatred of evil. Pride and arrogance and the way of evil and perverted speech I hate." As I pondered on the first half of the verse, I realized that I don't really hate evil. If sin is evil, and if I sin, does that mean that I can truly hate it?
Thinking upon my actions and thoughts, I came to the conclusion that I only hate evil when it is done to me or another person. So often I have turned a blind eye to when I am partaking in an evil and sinful act. How can I proclaim to love the Lord and yet still sin? Have I been so prideful? "Yes!" The resounding answer echoes through my head. By our fallen and sinful nature, humans are prideful and rebellious. It is only when we are called lovingly to humble ourselves before the Lord and admit our evil sins that we become holy as He is holy.
Let us lay aside our selfish, prideful hearts and grow in knowledge of Him. Let us allow him to reveal the sins we hold so dear, let us kill those things that keep us far from the love of the Father. For it is His kindness that leads us to repentance (Romans 2:4) and by His grace that we have been saved (Ephesians 2:5). Let us not accept this grace in vain, but live for others and work out our salvation with fear and trembling (Philippians 2:12). Let us consider our lives and align them ore closely to that of Christ's.

No comments: